Frequently Asked Questions
Find answers to public safety related questions we receive most often from Little Canada's residents.
Am I charged for false alarms?
Homes and businesses may have two penalty-free false alarms per calendar year.  After two false alarms, every subsequent false alarm will cost the alarm holder a fee.  Responding to false alarms takes away valuable time that emergency personnel could be spending elsewhere.  Almost all false alarms are caused by lack of training.  We encourage you to take the time to train everyone who will be activating or deactivating the alarm!
Are address numbers required on my home or business?

During an emergency situation, every second counts for emergency responders.  Take these steps before there is an emergency on your property: 

  • All property owners, both residential and commercial, should have the street address of their property on the side of the building that faces the street.  The numerals used should be large enough to see from the street and made of or finished with a reflectorized material so they can be seen in the dark.  City ordinance requires that house numbers be at least three inches high and 1/2 inch wide.
  • Contrasting colors should be used for the house numbers. 
  • Post reflectorized numbers on a mailbox.  If your neighborhood has cluster mailboxes, place the numbers on the front of the box for easier visibility.   
  • When approaching your property, check to see if there are any obstructions such as tree branches, bushes, snow, etc. blocking the view of the address numbers. 

By following these easy steps, you will help emergency responders quickly identify properties.  If you have any questions, please call our Fire Marshal’s office at 651-766-4033.

Are snowmobiles allowed in Little Canada?
Little Canada does not have any designated snowmobile trails.  Therefore, snowmobiling is not allowed on any public property, including streets or boulevards.
Do I need a permit for a recreational fire?
Recreational fires do not require permits.  However, there are some regulations you must follow.
How do I start a Neighborhood Watch Group?

The Ramsey County Sheriff’s Department’s Crime Prevention Unit is here to serve the residents of Little Canada. Our goal is to increase the quality of life of everyone who lives, works and plays in the city. We strive to complete this mission through several programs including the Neighborhood Watch Program and home security checks.

A Neighborhood Watch Group is an association of neighbors who agree to look out for the safety and security of every member of their neighborhood. This is done by neighbors getting to know each other and through continued communication with each other. The Neighborhood Watch program works to educate its participants in the principles of deterrence, detection, and the reporting of crimes and suspicious activity. This program has proved to be one of the most effective and least costly answers to preventing crime in a neighborhood. Once the watch is established, Neighborhood Watch signs are posted on your streets. These signs say it all "Criminals beware...this neighborhood cares. Protected by Neighborhood Watch."

Home security checks are conducted by the Crime Prevention Deputy or a Community Affairs Officer free of charge to residents. During the home security check, we look at the current level of security that your door locks and windows provide you and we make security recommendations to make your home a less desirable target to potential criminals.

For more information, contact the Crime Prevention Officer at 651-266-7339.

What is the curfew law?

Juveniles under the age of 18 are not allowed to be present in public places during the hours below unless present with a parent or guardian or in emergency situations. 

15 & Under - 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
16 & 17 - 12 midnight to 5 a.m.

Young people out after curfew may be stopped and questioned by police and curfew violations can lead to a fine or court appearance.  Sometimes the juveniles are brought home by police or they may be brought down to the Juvenile Detention Center in St. Paul where they will wait to be picked up by their parents.

Who provides ambulance services to Little Canada?

Allina Medical Transportation provides ambulance services to more than 70 communities in and near the Twin Cities Metro area. Their service area stretches across Ramsey, Anoka, Hennepin, and Scott counties, including the City of Little Canada. Paramedics and EMTs provide continuous coverage, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Residents should call 911 in an emergency.  General questions on ambulance services should be directed to Allina at 651-222-0555.

Why are the sirens sounding?
Little Canada's Fire Department sounds its siren every day at noon and 6 p.m. signaling the current time.

Civil defense sirens are tested on the first Wednesday of each month at 1 p.m.

powered by