Rental Housing License/Ordinance
If you own a residential property in Little Canada and want to operate it as a rental property, a rental housing license is required by the City. The rental licensing program is designed to ensure that housing units meet appropriate code requirements, to provide the City with better information as to the location of the City’s rental housing stock, and to require adequate tenant screening/management procedures to minimize problem tenant issues.
The following types of rented properties need to be licensed: condominiums (individually owned), duplexes, fourplexes, single family homes, townhomes, triplexes, twin-homes, and apartment buildings.
Obtain a License
- Submit the completed Rental Housing License Application along with the appropriate fee. New rental licenses can be submitted at anytime during the license period, fees are not prorated.
- Contact the housing inspector licensed with the City of Little Canada to set up your required inspection. There is a cost for this inspection. Dan Brausen, Innerspec Home Inspections, 651-483-8407, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any issues noted by the housing inspector must be resolved and certified by the inspector before a license will be issued.
- The license and initial inspection will be good through June 30, 2021.
- New,first time license application fees are as follows:
- Single Family Home: $112
- Condominium: $50 per unit
- Multi-Unit Building: $100 per building and $12 per unit
The City Council has instituted penalties under our rental licensing program for those property owners who fail to obtain a license. Unlicensed properties found to have rental units will subject the property owner to double fees, misdemeanor citations, and possible injunctive action to prevent the continued illegal rental.
To renew your rental housing license for the 2019-2021 license period, please contact Lisa Krieger, 651-766-4029,
If you own or manage a rental property, please contact the Little Canada City Center at 651-766-4029 to start your application process or have your questions answered. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8am-4:30pm.